strange (grub?) problem after poweron laptop

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Mon Mar 22 11:16:51 UTC 2004

This problem might not be connected to FC1 so might be OT
but maybe somebody has experienced something like this and can
give me some suggestions.

This concerns a Dell I8200 laptop with a Hitachi DK32EA 60 GB disk
with (only) FC1 installed, Grub in the MBR and Ext3 partitions.

The last couple of weeks immediately after pressing the poweron
button I hear 2 system beeps and get the following message:

'Primary hard drive 0 failure
 No boot device available
 No bootable devices'

After powering off and then on again (sometimes twice) booting works
(though there seems to be a slight 'hesitation' before the grub
splash screen appears). Once booted everything appears to work
normally.

This is a 'smart' disk with smartd running. The logs show nothing
suspicious. Extensive control with 'smartcl' also indicates that
nothing is wrong with the disk.

Could this be a grub problem?

Alexander