Kernel 2.6 and ALSA

Jonathan Fiat jonathan-f at hotpop.com
Mon Mar 22 16:40:08 UTC 2004

jludwig wrote:

>I installed a 2.6.4 kernel and it can't find the /dev/dsp device check
>this also if you still don't have sound.

I also have that problem. The error message is:
    Sound server informational message:
    Error while initializing the sound driver:
    device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
I tried running /sbin/modinfo soundcore, and the output is:
    modinfo: soundcore: no module by that name found
I installed the kernel from RPMs, so I cannot recompaile it...
Is there any sulotion?

Jonathan