simple image viewer? (Bevan C. Bennett)

David Fletcher fm_maillists at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 23 20:00:27 UTC 2004

I was using gwenview with RH9 yesterday. Works fine, lets you browse a folder
of images and puts up thumbprints like Paint Shop Pro does, only I don't
think it saves thumbprints to a file like PSP so it can take a while with
large files. You can then right click on an image and get it to open with the
Gimp.

Anybody on the list tried it with Fedora yet?

Dave F

> Craig Jones wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | I was wondering where the simple image viewers went, such as xv or ee?
> | I think both were in RH9, but I can't seem to find them in FC1.  Is
> | there a better replacement?  (and simpler than gimp).
> |
> | Craig
> |

> eog, maybe?

eog is probably the simplest for just pulling up an image.
display is a little fancier (from 'ImageMagick').
gthumb is a nice little app for managing sets of photos.
gimp is like photoshop... big, complicated and powerful.
You can also use most web browsers (like mozilla) to display common
image types.

If you're looking for something with xv's ability to set a simple
background image, check out xsetroot, xloadimage and xsetbg.