x86_64 "Bad RIP value" on boot

neilcuk at aol.com neilcuk at aol.com
Tue Mar 23 20:35:38 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I realize this is most likely a hardware issue - but I need some guidance. First off - I haven't got the entire dmesg, I didn't fancy writing (and the boot didn't get far enough to write to disk - I'm hoping someone has already bumped into this and can point me in the right direction.

I'm trying to install Fedora from the Yarrow-binary-x86_64 distro. I'm using the distro boot.iso but encounter a kernel panic. The output is mostly chevron enclosed decimal values; at the end, the message states:

Bad RIP value
<codes..etc.>
In idle task - not syncing

 - where the above chevron text is for example.

I'm trying to get this running using an Athlon64 3200+ on a Gigabyte K8VT800 Pro with the latest (f6) BIOS update.

Anyone?

Thanks muchly...n