Keyboard setup is peeing me off

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Mar 23 21:37:48 UTC 2004

Chadley Wilson wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 22:03, David Fletcher wrote:
>

>>However, this is getting a bit off topic for the Fedora list.
>>

>Well since I am the original poster of this thread let me conclude it.
>
>In RH9 winxplease and debian? the buttons work correctly as they should,
>by pressing the key once!
>for quotations marks - tilde and inverted comma to display correctly I
>must press the relative key and then spacebar for them to display
>correctly.
>eg: (tilde) ~  (Quotation marks) "  (inverted comma) '
>If I press the key nothing, If I press the key twice on quotations and
>inverted comma then this eg: (Quotation Mark) ¨ (inverted comma) ´
>Now I have tried various drivers and I think it actually has to do with
>the character coding, So I played with a few and got things even more
>messed up.
>So now the question is if you have a keyboard that works on a single
>press of these keys could you tell which character coding you are using.
>Thanks for all the responses I got.

Your description indicates a problem with the keyboard mapping.

The keyboard ALWAYS sends the same code for each key. This is hardcoded
in the keyboard.   The code is not always processed the same before
displayed on the screen.  The system has a driver and keyboard mapping
process that translates it to what is displayed.

Sorry I cannot help with the exact files to look at, but in order to fix
your problem you will need to repair the mapping process.  That is where
the error is and will need fixed.