x86_64 "Bad RIP value" on boot

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Wed Mar 24 01:15:18 UTC 2004

Andrius wrote:

> First off - I haven't got the entire dmesg, I didn't fancy writing
> (and the
>
>boot didn't get far enough to write to disk - I'm hoping someone has already
>bumped into this and can point me in the right direction.

I recently had to capture console messages for a boot problem.  Check
out the boot parameters/grub, and the getty/agetty parts in the tldp.org
link below.  The first was sufficient to get me a log of console
messages from booting the kernel.  The latter if you want login access
via serial port after boot.  I used minicom on another pc acting as
console, and set to use 15200 n81 no hardware flow control (cts/rts),
then I added the following to boot parameters:

console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021