spamassassin/user_prefs

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Wed Mar 24 15:34:22 UTC 2004

Charles Howse wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 March 2004 08:29 am, Markku Kolkka wrote:
>
>>Charles Howse kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika keskiviikko, 24.
>>
>>maaliskuuta 2004 15:18):
>>
>>>The question is:  is it wrong to train spamassassin by running
>>>sa --learn on the same msgs ( + or -  a few) over and over?
>>
>>sa-learn remembers the messages it has already seen and ignores
>>them if you try to teach them again. So, it's not wrong, just a
>>waste of time.
>

> That's good to know.  :-)
> So I could set a cron job to run once a month, in the wee hours and have it
> do:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> for i in Fedora inbox Kent Saved Stooges ; do
>
>         echo "Learning from" $i
>         sa-learn --ham --dir /home/charles/Mail/$i/*
>
> done
>
> sa-learn --spam --dir /home/charles/Mail/Spam/*
>
> exit 0
>
> The results would then be emailed to me from the cron daemon.

Don't do the inbox in the wee hours, any new messages you receive between
the last to time you looked at your mail and the time the cron job runs will
be learned as ham, even if it's spam. You'd need to undo that manually.

Also, be careful if you use imap. If you move/delete messages from a mailbox
they remain until those changes are committed. When that actually happens
depends on the mail client and how it's configured. So, there's a
possibility that spam might remain in your inbox even after you've
deleted/moved it.

(Don't forget to make sure sa-learn is on the path for cron).

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555