new memory = more swap?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Mar 26 01:04:08 UTC 2004

Kevin Krieser wrote:
> I have 1 GB RAM on my Linux box, and 2 GB swap (0 of which is used).
> But with 260GB of disk space on the computer, why not?  I may want to
> run a program that uses 2 GB sometime.

I don't think so.  The old ROT (rule-of-thumb) was to set up swap to be
twice your system RAM, but it was subject to all kinds of tweaks.  With
RAM being fairly cheap now, it's not so necessary.  However, if your
system starts to use swap a lot, then it's time to buy more RAM. Once
it starts swapping, your system will slow to a crawl.
-      "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi.       -
-  Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to  -
-               do their programming."  -- Simon Slavin              -