RAID 0 to RAID 1

Kevin M. Shortt shortt at cgicafe.com
Fri Mar 26 20:15:07 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I've just built a box with Fedora Core 1 and used disk druid
to create many partitions (during the install) set up as RAID 1.
Through all the clicking a redundant creations, I accidentally
created one partition as RAID 0. I would like to convert this
to RAID 1.

(note my original post earlier today regarding my que of /proc/mdstat)

The filesystem is unmountable. I have not installed mdadm (yet).
These are the steps I did do to change the partition from RAID 0
to RAID 1. They have not worked. Any advice and insight is greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance..

/proc/mdstat entry appears as such.
-------------------------------------
   md8 : active raid0 hda8[0] hdc8[1]
      6136576 blocks 64k chunks

- umount /mountpoint
- raidstop /dev/md8
# I verified that /dev/md8 was removed from /proc/mdstat.

# I then edited /etc/raidtab to change the "raid-level" entry
# for /dev/md8 to be "1" and not "0".
- vi /etc/raidtab
- raidstart /dev/md8
# The /proc/mdstat entry was still indicating RAID 0.

-k