Poll: Customized Fedora

Adam T. Gautier adam_gautier at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 27 17:11:20 UTC 2004

>Sounds a lot like what kickstart already can do + extra packages and a
>web frontend.

Kickstart is a big part of the idea, if not only because of it's
importance in relation to Anaconda.  The web portion is to make package
resolution easier.  Which in my opinion is a pain in the but right now.
The web portion would span lots of third-party repositories.  That is
the reason it is web-based: I think this can only be solved in a
networked setting and a webapp is the fastest/easiest way to gurantee
that the system is in a networked environment with updated package
info.  Also, kickstart can add customization through scripting only (pre
and post scripts) which is fine but I also want to build a customized
Anaconda that is more modular and can have some pre-built functions
(Example: Configuration for apache that allows finer grained control of
the modules being initialized, sure you could edit the file in /etc but
if you are install 5-10 in a loadbalancing situation it becomes a
pain).  These customizations may best be addressed in the first boot
script or Anaconda, depends on the job.  Also, all of the additions to
Anaconda should be easily scriptable using kickstart.