Window position on opening

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sun Mar 28 04:09:47 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-27 at 22:09, Bill Bradford wrote:
> I keep my main panel (what MS would call the "taskbar," I think) on the
> left side of the screen instead of the bottom, and application windows
> in FC1 have always opened with the left side of their windows abutting
> the edge of that panel, which made perfect sense.
>
> For some unknown reason Firefox has suddenly started to open up with its
> window aligned with the left side of the *screen*, so the left side of
> the firefox window is *under* the panel, which is highly aggravating.
>
> Since other apps are still opening properly, this may be something
> specific to firefox, but the search terms I can think of to describe it
> don't turn up much on google, and Fedora (or gnome) was clearly
> controlling this behavior originally.  Does anyone have any ideas on why
> this is happening or how to control it?

Firefox may explicitly set its initial window position, but be too
unsophisticated to notice the panel there.

If you run "xprop" and click on the firefox window, the section
WM_NORMAL_HINTS may indicate "program specified position" or "user
specified position" which would create this problem.

I don't have firefox installed at the moment or I'd check.

Havoc