logrotate

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Mar 28 15:28:47 UTC 2004

Am So, den 28.03.2004 schrieb Steve Searle um 13:19:
> Having setup yum to update automatically, I have noticed that the
> logfile isn't being rotated.  This led me to look at cron.daily and
> logrotate for the first time.  I am clearly missing something, and
> wonder if anyone can explain.
>
> On my standard core 1 build, cron.daily runs /etc/cron.daily/logrotate
>
> This runs /usr/sbin/logrotate using /etc/logrotate.conf
>
> In terms of which logs are rotated, the only relevant entry in this conf
> file seems to be include /logrotate.d

That is the correct place for the logrotate files, those coming with the
system and your custom ones.

> This directory includes a number of files, including yum, which contains
>
> /var/log/yum.log {
>     missingok
>     notifempty
>     size 30k
>     create 0600 root root
> }

Did you check "man logrotate"? It explains the parameters set in the
file.

So if yum.log is empty (size = 0 bytes) it will not be rotated. If log
size is 30 kilobytes or smaller it will not be rotated too. I think your
yum.log is just small.

> There are other logs being rotated, e.g. messages, cron, maillog that
> are being rotated that do not seem to be mentioned here.  And yum.log
> seems never to have been located in over a month.  What am I missing?

You can change the parameters in the config file if you like.

> Thanks
>
> Steve

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 17:25:02 up 9 days, 1:07, load average: 0.08, 0.16, 0.12
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]