Making a spare boot up floppy

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Mon Mar 29 02:03:52 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 18:42, Jeff Vian wrote:
> The easiest way to make a usable (and bootable) image of a boot floppy
> is with dd.
> Use "dd if=/dev/fd0 of=boot.img bs=512 count=2440" to create the file
> boot.img that is an exact copy of the floppy.
>
> That will create a bootable image of the floppy that then can be put
> back onto another floppy using rawrite from dos/windows, or dd on linux.

Of course... for rescuing a failed/broken Fedora installation, the CD is
actually quite good.  It holds a lot more handy software than a boot
floppy.  I consider floppies to be 'single use' devices... at least for
critical uses.  After being burned (badly) by some "rescue" disks that
couldn't several years back, I have never depended on them again.  CDs
all the way!

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves