screensaver not running

alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Mar 29 07:44:34 UTC 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 dhananjoy at nucleussoftware.com wrote:

> i logged in as root and tried to start screensaver
> but it gives the error... it says no screen saver daemon is running at display 0.0
> i tried the "xhost +localhost" but it dint help
> I f  i login as any user other than root then there is no error all screen saver work fine.

Read the documentation for xscreensaver.  It does that by design.
(Mandrake actually hacks around it. I am not certain if that is such a
good idea.) It does not run as root so as to not become yet another
security hole.

Why are you running X as root anyways?  (At least long enough to need a
screen saver.)

http://www.jwz.org/ for more information.