Modifying Sendmail rc script

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Mar 29 18:00:53 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 29.03.2004 schrieb Al Sparks um 18:54:

> Well, first, I can make this work w/o my question being answered.  I saw this
> as an opportunity to learn more about the standard initd scripts RH/Fedora uses.
>
> But, if it gives you the warm and fuzzies to know, I'm trying to install
> MIMEDefang, and that's one of the things it calls for.
>   === Al

Ok :)

You might wonder but I am running Sendmail with MimeDefang too. In my
opinion it is the best way to integrate SPAM fighting using SpamAssassin
too and to run anti virus checking using one or more anti virus tools
too.

Well, if you check /etc/init.d/sendmail on your Fedora machine you can
quickly find out, that this script already does what you want to
achieve: it runs the mail queue every $MQUEUE. This is by default 1
hour. But you can change that easily in /etc/sysconfig/sendmail by
setting QUEUE to 5m. The Sendmail init script sets at top QUEUE =
MQUEUE. If you want the submission queue runner not run that often
(every 5 minutes, which is normaly no problem, I do that myself), then
change /etc/sysconfig/sendmail to contain a line MQUEUE=5m. This will
result in a submission queue runner running every hour and a mail queue
running every 5 minutes. How Sendmail runs already on your Fedora you
can easily see with these commands:

cat /var/run/sendmail.pid
--> prints out the porcess ID of the sendmail main process and the
parameters for the main queue runner

cat /var/run/sm-client.pid
--> prints out the process ID of the submission queue runner and it's
parameters

Certainly /etc/init.d/functions looks confusing for the first time. The
main functions it generates you are interested in are daemon() and
killproc(). Both are working with pid files created in /var/run.

This will fairly not answer all your questions, but you are welcome to
ask more. For MimeDefang specific things you better subscribe it's
mailing list and/or search it's mailing list archive. It contains
already a lot of helpful tips and tricks.

Regards

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 19:45:05 up 10 days, 3:27, load average: 0.24, 0.30, 0.18
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]