kernel: Out of Memory

Christopher Ness nesscg at mcmaster.ca
Tue Mar 30 14:57:25 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 09:30, Tim wrote:
>      System has 192 MB of ram and 256 mb of swap.
>
>      If I manually run the log rotate everything works fine, there must be
> something else happening that I don't realize that is causing the memory
> problems.  I'm fresh out of ideas so any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.

Time you could try changing when the log rotate happens.  It is a
cronjob that runs daily and calls the program `logrotate`.

I think all the jobs in /etc/cron.daily look run at 4:02AM by default on
my system here.  Check /etc/crontab to find out for yours.

You may wish to strip out /etc/cron.daily/logrotate and move it to the
root directory where you can set up r00ts `crontab` [man crontab for
more info] and have it run at say 3:00AM instead of firing with all the
other jobs in that directory.

HTH,
Chris
--