No internet connection

Brian Tilley brtilley at telus.net
Tue Mar 30 15:38:01 UTC 2004

Jim Sims wrote:

>Don't know if this applies, but this morning when booting Fedora Core 1
>my connection was out and Fedora didn't recognize a network connection.
>I had to restart my computer with the connection working for Fedora to
>find it again.
>If this doesn't apply, sorry about that.
>Jim
>
>On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 13:47, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>

>>Am Do, den 25.03.2004 schrieb Brian Tilley um 18:37:
>>

>>>After upgrading from RH 9.0 to Fedora Core 1 my internet connection is
>>>not working. eth0 is working, and I can ping localhost and my static IP
>>>address as well as domain name. When I try to fire up Mozilla I can not
>>>get a connection. This is what I get when running ifconfig:
>>>

>>>Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>>Brian
>>>

>>1) check /etc/resolv.conf for having valid DNS servers in there
>>2) check output of "route -n" to have a default route to the outgoing
>>device, eth0 I assume
>>3) check output of "iptables -L -n -v" whether you block something
>>accidentally
>>4) check the content of /etc/hosts that there is a line
>>"127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain   localhost"
>>
>>Alexander

Hi,

When I try to run either 'route' or 'iptables' I get a 'command not
found' error message. When I go to the sbin directory and try it there I
get the same error message. When I open both "route' and 'iptables' in
vi I see a bunch of weird symbols???????. The /etc/hosts file seems to
be OK, with both localhost and my domain listed.

Brian