Network and Internet sharing

Brian Chase networkr0 at cfl.rr.com
Tue Mar 30 20:00:41 UTC 2004

Sounds like you're a Linux newbie, so I'll offer my two cents on your
quickest way to accomplish this.  I'm assuming you want to have use of
the machine with the two NIC's in it, so we know we're going to need a
full Linux distribution, not a specialized firewall distro like IPCop or
SmoothWall.

In your case, I recommend a fresh load of Mandrake 9.2.  It will take
some reading, but it's got the most wizards to get you set up for
connection sharing, or running a DHCP server with firewall and NAT.  I
did this from a fresh load at install, answered the questions in the
install procedure correctly, and everything worked upon install with no
tweaking afterwards, so let us know how you make out.