building rpm from tar.gz od bz2

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Wed Mar 31 16:13:00 UTC 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:40:40 +0200
Michal Zeravik <michalz at olomouc.com> wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> I red in rpmbuild manual It's possible to build
> binary package from tar archive.
> All I need is to pass right arguments to ./configure script,
> make and build rpm package.
> Does exist any simple way to do it without spec file?
> For example build rpm after make.

Not really -- unless the developer provided such a rule on the app's
Makefile. However, AFAICS providing the spec file would be the easiest
way.

If you tarball has a spec file, you can build binary (and source) RPMs
directly from the tarball with the -ta parameter:

rpm -ta tarball

spec files for trivial cases are not hard to write, check Matthias
Saou's excellent docs at http://freshrpms.net/docs/fight/. Also, don't
forget to check the mandatory reference MaximumRPM
[http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/]

HTH

Andre

--