n00b install question

Andrius varanava at takas.lt
Wed Mar 31 18:40:53 UTC 2004

Probably earlier answers were right. You downloaded yarrow-x86_64-SRPMS-disc1 (disc2 disc3) iso's. This distribution is for AMD64 processors (like Opteron, AMD64 Athlon and FX). They use long mode, when it works with 64-bit instructions, protected mode when this 32-bit instructions and real mode when with 16-bit instructions. So you need to download   yarrow-SRPMS-disc1.iso,  yarrow-SRPMS-disc2.iso, yarrow-SRPMS-disc3.iso from i386 link (not x86_64). Pentium III is only 32-bit processor, so it can't work in long mode.