[FC2] Really slow after installing lots of new fonts.

Mon May 31 10:38:16 UTC 2004

Le dim, 30/05/2004 à 17:43 +0200, Coume - Lubox.com a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> My friend gave me a cd of freeware fonts and I installed all of them
> around 22,000 fonts... It sounds to me great as now, I would be able to
> have lots of font for designing logo, etc...
>
> But since I done that, there is a major problem! FC2 is very very slow!
> In fact, everything is longer to load up and OpenOffice won't load
> anymore, it always crash.
>
> Is there a way to speed up things again?
> and perhaps something to cache only the most common fonts, but keeping
> all the others there to use them when I will need them :/

Well, remove some fonts:)
Really all the systems I know behave the same - with the prohibitive
prices foundries charge for well-designed fonts (as opposed to the free
ones that are mostly logo/title junk) the population that needs to work
with thousands of fonts simultaneously must be really tiny.

I'm not saying that's good, just that "the user will have a small number
of fonts" is a common enough software assumption.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot