PS on exclusion Re: FC1 Users: Sample .... One more problem

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 1 17:14:34 UTC 2004

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 20:46:53 -0500, Clint Harshaw wrote:

> Beartooth wrote:
>> I used galeon for years, till it began to get slow, and went back to it
>> when firefox did. My browsers typically run faster when newly updated,
>> and slow gradually down; if I can, I keep galeon, opera, and firefox
>> all open
>
> This seems odd -- are you regularly clearing out the cache?

Errr... Duhhhh.... and also Blither. Also Damn. That's one thing I keep
forgetting -- partly because I'm a packrat, and shirk it. I wish the
browsers would let you see how much you have, or otherwise thin out,
without having to edit a file manually, line by line.

I did it just now, and both Opera and Firefox do seem faster. But there's
a cost. The browser no longer keeps track, on the web forums I follow,
which posts I've read and which I haven't.

> I haven't ever experienced the gradual slowing down you describe, but I
> hope we can find a solution to your issue. Have you tried strace on any
> of the browsers to see if there is some output that could be helpful
> there for troubleshooting?
                 =====
[root at localhost btth]# strace opera
-bash: strace: command not found
[root at localhost btth]#
                  =====
So I checked :
                 =====
[root at localhost root]# man strace
No manual entry for strace
[root at localhost root]# rpm -q strace
package strace is not installed
[root at localhost root]#
                 =====
I had barely, if ever heard of strace. I did try google
linux, and found a long but seemingly readable exposition at
http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/strace.1.html

> I'm not entirely clear on this desktop setup -- are you really saying
> that you have at lease three browsers open at all times, each with 10-20
> pages being rendered? So at any time, there are at least between 30 and
> 60 different web pages being actively displayed?

Not at all. On my panel is a workspace switcher with six boxes. Each one,
when clicked on, gives me what amounts to a fresh desktop, or at least
looks like one. One for my terminal, doing email and administrative stuff;
one for each browser; one for my newsreader; and one with a terminal using
a special profile -- a font small enough to make man pages format
properly. And, of course, with tabs each browser only actually displays
one site at a time, if any; the chief benefits of tabbing, to me at least,
are that I can close a browser with unread sites open, and have them still
there next time; and that I can open my weather and forum sites more or
less simultaneously, without chasing down a lot of bookmarks.

> How much RAM are you running?

Well, I thought the hardware browser would check that for me, and it
doesn't. I had as much added as each machine would hold recently; I think
it's 512 on one and 384 on the other.

>> I hit dependency hell trying to install galeon on my current athlon FC1
>> desktop, and just get along without it. Since the installation on the
>> backup p2 still has a working galeon, I use it there.
>
> Gnome's moved to epiphany for its browser, for reasons that I don't
> recall, and I don't believe galeon comes with FC2. But there are
> available rpm's for galeon (you should be able to grab the rpm from
> Dag's site) that are compatible with moz 1.7.3.

Been there, tried that, alas! I installed mozilla into FC1, from the
Fedora Legacy site; galeon-1.3.14-0.a.rhfc1.dag.i386.rpm failed to
install; galeon-1.3.14-1.a.dmist.i386.rpm failed to install;
galeon-1.3.17-3.i386.rpm claimed to have installed -- but tries to open
when I click on the launcher, and then fails.

rpm -q mozilla gives mozilla-1.4.3-1.fc1.1.legacy

Have I gotten the wrong rpm from Dag, or ...??

Incidentally, I asked this also this morning on gmane's galeon list; no
reply there yet, either ...

--
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Remember I know precious little of what I'm talking about!