FC3 - no video

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Nov 14 02:22:09 UTC 2004

Bryan White wrote:
> I just tried installing FC3.  DVD Media check passed.  After hardware
> detection correctly lists my ATI Radeon 7500 All in Wonder and Viewsonic
> VX900 19" LCD panel I get a blank screen (actually my LCD monitor
> displays an "Out of Range" error message).  The installer has apparently
> gone into a graphics mode that the LCD panel does not understand.
>
> If I boot the install disk with 'linux nofb' it does the same thing.
>
> If I boot with linux text I can do a text mode install.  Then when it
> tries to boot the installed operating system I get the 'Out of Range'
> error.
>
> My previous install of FC2 was using a CRT.  I have since upgraded to
> the LCD panel.  FC2 had no problems when I setup the panel.  I no longer
> have the CRT monitor to try.
>
> Fortunately I can still boot into Win2k.  I am looking for suggestions
> on how to proceed.

The radeon 7200 was killed in the latest CVS build. I am not sure if the
7500 card is also a casualty resulting to changes in xorg-x11. I was
able to get the server up using the vesa card instead of the radeon
driver contained within xorg.conf - Using the vesa driver might allow
you to get through firstboot as suggested and submit bug reports
regarding the ills related to the 7500.

Jim