Help with NFS on FC1

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Wed Sep 1 13:37:25 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 31 August 2004 15:17, Alexander Apprich wrote:
> Hi Chadley,
>
> not sure if I can really help you...
>
> Chadley Wilson wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Please can some one assist me here,
> > There is a spook in my FC1 PC config,
> >
> > The NFS firstly would not start,
> > Now I get it started and no-one has permission to access the fileshare.
> >
> > [root at preload root]# mount preload:/fc1 test/
> > mount: preload:/fc1 failed, reason given by server: Permission denied
> > [root at preload root]#ls -la /
> > snipped
> > drwxr-xr-x    6 rpcuser  rpcuser      4096 Aug 31 05:01 fc1
> > snipped
> >

> > What should the perms be here I had them as root and changed them,
> >
> > I have also tried these lines in /etc/exports
> > /fc1            192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0(ro,sync,no_root_squash)
> > and                                                  ^^
> > /fc1            192.168.2.0/255.255.255.255(ro,sync,no_root_squash)
> >                                                         ^^^
>
> Which one did you finally use?
This one
192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0(ro,sync,no_root_squash)

> > /var/log/messages reports:
> >
> > Aug 31 12:53:52 preload rpc.mountd: refused mount request from
> > preload.teq.pinteq for /fc1 (/): no export entry
>
> Does /fc1 really exist under / ?

Yes I have created it in the /home dir as well even there it wont work,

> > [root at preload root]# exportfs
> > /fc1            192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0
> > [root at preload root]#
>
> Try
>
>     exportfs -av
>
> > Well I am very lost ?
>
> Did you restart the nfsserver?
Yip and  portmap, named, dhcp, ssh, http, squid,  the PC several times.

But I would like you to know that I have an idea as to what has to be done
now, much learning has taken place last night.
I have all services running smoothly.
One problem: the nfs server is for a linux installation server, hence the fc1
dir. Taking an aleady installed PC and booting up DHCP the hostname and all
and all gets set. Then the PC can access the NFS share. Cool.
But If I try a network installation it fails, Why? easy Permissions. But I
have specified the IP range as who has access, If you are on my range you get
access, right, When you do an NFS install booting from CD-Rom it seems that
although the PC is an IP the server is still refusingto give it access.

But heres the problem, If I set the acces to the NFS Share to <world> then the
bugger refuses to start.
(mmm, wheres my sledge hammer, I make it start! :=} )

I would assume that this has something to do with my dhcp/dns config.
Have you got ideas?

By the way thanks for the response, people seem to be chicken lately to take
on a challenge especially when its not their own. :-}

--
Chadley Wilson
Production Line Supervisor