Running fedora core 2 on Intel 915 chipset

Matthew Asplund mattasplund at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 03:58:48 UTC 2004

Well, with the help of my computer guru, I found the answer.  To get
fedora core 2 running on a dell gx280 computer, I did the following:

Boot the install in textmode, do the install, and when it prompts for
a reboot at the end, use <ctrl><alt><F2> to change to a new virtual
console.  Edit /etc/inittab, and change the default run level to 3 (to
keep it from starting X, this is not absolutely necessary, but helps).

Reboot.

>From here, there is an optional step.  If you install the latest
2.6.8-521 kernel, the ethernet will work, which is some help.

Install the kernel-2.6.8-521.srpm (rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.8-521.srpm),
edit the config file in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES to change the AGP-* to
modules.  Make a .gnupg directory in your home directory.  Do a
rpmbuild -ba --target=i686 SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec to build the kernel.
Finally do an rpm -ivh on the rpm in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i686.
Reboot.

You should now have ethernet, and not have AGP installed on your machine.

Download the Intel drivers from
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-010512.htm?iid=graphics+915main&

get the tar version.

expand it out.  comment out lines 104-106 from the file dripkg/drm/drm_vm.h

and in the file dripkg/drm/Makefile.linux change line 51 from gdg.o
and i810.o to gdg.ko and i810.ko.

run the install.sh file.

Finally, edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the driver from VESA
to i81-, and you are done.

I don't take all of the credit.  Much of that goes to seth who figured
most of it out.  Anyway, it worked for me.

matthew asplund