mp3 misbehaving in xmms

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 08:53:51 UTC 2004

Hi folks.

I've installed xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-21 (RH9 but supposed to work with FC1)
to be able to play MP3 files but it didn't work properly.  I did a yum
update to bring xmms and xmms-skins up to the latest versions but stil
the same.

I uninstalled all of the xmms stull and downloaded the latest (same
version as yum) direct from xmms.org which already had  mp3 built in,
but still the same.

What happens is, I select a directory containing mp3 files and tel it to
play. Once it starts playing t flies through all of the files taking
about 2 per file, and all I get out of the speakers is a very quiet
squeal.

Anyone got any ideas.  Th machine is dual boot XP and the files play
fine under XP. All other audio works under Linux.

The kit is:

Brand new P4 3G, 1GB RAM, ASUS P4P800+ with onboard audio, FC1 + full
yum update
--
Gary Stainburn