How do I compile and install a kernel from source?

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Fri Sep 3 09:19:23 UTC 2004

Uttered "C. Linus Hicks" <lhicks at nc.rr.com>, spake thus:

>  I think the install target still uses lilo by default, but I believe
> it gives you the option of having your own installkernel script, and
> you may want to uncomment where it sets INSTALL_PATH.

No, if you have a "/etc/lilo.conf" you get a LILO install.  With an
"/etc/grub.conf" you get a GRUB install.  Just glance at the
"/sbin/installkernel" script and you'll see it invokes the
"/sbin/new-kernel-pkg" script to actually do the boot updating.

HTH.