Image Editing slow in Fedora

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Sep 3 14:54:12 UTC 2004

Jon Shorie wrote:
> On Friday 03 September 2004 07:06, Alexander Apprich wrote:
> <a.apprich at science-computing.de>
>
>>Jon,
>>
>>Jon Shorie wrote:
>>
>>>We have some 300 dpi 24x36" greyscale scans of some of our plans.  I am
>>>looking for an image editor that works with linux that is reasonably
>>>quick for working with these images.  The fiels are saved as a tif image
>>>and are about 4 mb in size.
>>>
>>>When I load one of them into gimp, it balloons to about 90mb in size and
>>>performance is extremely poor.  I have verified that gimp is not
>>>converting the image to RGB, but it still is too slow to use on a daily
>>>basis.
>>>
>>>If I load the image into windoze imaging, it stays as a 4mb image and
>>>performance is reasonable.
>>>
>>>I went through the documentation for gimp, but I did not see anything
>>>that looks useful.  Any suggestions?
>>
>>just to make it complete...
>>
>>what are your system specs?? FC1 or FC2, which kernel...
>>
>>Also, is it possible for you to send one (or more) of these pics
>>off list, so maybe I or someone else can verify it
>

> Sorry for not posting system specs earlier.
>
> Athlon Thunderbird 1400 512MB Ram.  ATI Radeon 7000 AGP Video Card.  7200RPM
> 15GB Hard Drive.  Fedora Core 2.  Linux kernal 2.6.8-1.521.  Motherboard is
> an ECS board with VIA KT133A chipset.
>
> I did try a few more things since posting this question.  I upgraded the
> memory to 768 mb and adjusted the preferences in gimp to Tile Cache Size of
> 384MB and Minimum undo levels to 4 from the defaults of 64MB and 5.
>
> This seemed to improve matters somewhat, but it still a lot slower than
> windoze imaging on my windoze box which only has
> Athlon Duron 600 512MB Ram ATI Rage 128 Pro Video Card 5400RPM 8GB Hard Drive
> Windows 2000 Service Pack 4.
>
> We are in the process of scanning about 10000 of these images.
>
> I have a version of one of the images with the information that is
> confidential removed.  I can post it as an attachment, but the size of the
> file is 2.8 mb.
>
> I am also wondering if anyone has any idea why gimp shows the size as 300mb
> internally when the file itself is only 2.8mb.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I use the Gimp on a daily basis to edit multi-layered (>500) files
that are in the 215M or greater size.  It takes about 40 seconds to
load one of these.

I am still using FC1 on a machine that is very similar to yours.  I
don't find that the Gimp is that slow or lagging except on the load
which is expected.  It takes about 40 seconds to load one of these.

I haven't done much work with tif files but the size change may be
related to a compressed tif file and the Gimp is uncompressing the
file.  All my tif files are uncompressed and they load fast.  Even the
4M ones.

--
Robin Laing