kernel linux-2.6.8-1.521 locks when leaving X11

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Sat Sep 4 16:52:26 UTC 2004

Hi Axel,

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:25:08 +0200
Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 08:04:52PM -0300, Andre Costa wrote:
> > I upgraded kernel to 2.6.8-1.521 recently, and system has been
> > locking hard when I leave my X session and return to GDM. I use a
> > custom-compiled kernel, where I only turn off unneeded stuff such as
> > firewire, RAID support etc. and enable NTFS filesystem, but problem
> > happens with "stock" kernel as well.
> >
> > I just rebooted to the previous kernel (2.6.7-1.494.2.2custom) and
> > things seem to have gone back to normal. Problems happened both with
> > latest NVidia driver (1.0-6111) and the one before that (1.0-6106).
> >
> > Anyone else experiencing this?
>
> Not here, could you try reproducing this using stock Fedora kernel
> rpms and nvidia rpms from ATrpms.net?

Actually, after doing some more careful attempts (and _many_ reboots =))
I mapped the problem more precisely:

- using stock 2.6.8-1.521 kernel with nvidia video drivers _doesn't_
seem to trigger the problem (previous attempts were poisoned by
concurrent attempts to use nvidia's sound drivers which are known to be
buggy)

- as expected, compiling kernel by hand using
configs/kernel-2.6.8-i686.config also seems to be stable (BTW: what is
the reason for the lack of a athlon config file?)

I will now try to gradually tweak the original kernel-2.6.8-i686.config
to my personal settings and try to determine what breaks X. I guess I's
better get used to many more reboots on the next couple of days ;)

I will post back here the results.

Thks,

Andre

--