Xorg freezes, crashes, locks, shoots and leaves

Andrea Giuliano a.giuliano at iccu.sbn.it
Mon Sep 6 08:26:31 UTC 2004

Dear Gene,

I know your problem very well! Anyway, after having X freezing the
system for several months, at present it doesn't happen any more. It's
hard to say way.

I only can suggest you to add the following lines to xorg.conf:

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option        "AllowDeactivateGrabs" "true"
    Option        "AllowClosedownGrabs" "true"
EndSection

They allow you to use C-A-K-* and C-A-K-/ to try to unlock X in some
situations (see man xorg.conf for a few detail). To avoid
misunderstandings, please note that C-A-K-* means "Control, Alt, Keypad
*" pressed together.

This could be a start to investigate what is happening to your system. I
would not be very optimistic, but at least you can try, it's very easy.
Remember to restart your X server after the changes above.

Best regards... and good luck!!!

--
Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.
ICCU - Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico