Still have problem with sensors-detect -

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Mon Sep 6 19:47:15 UTC 2004

Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I went through the sensors-detect routine again, accepted all
> the defaults and it appears that I may need to install a "driver"
> somewhere but "should be inserted" leaves me wondering,
> inserted where and how?
>             - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
> Just press ENTER to continue:
>
> Driver `adm9240' (should be inserted):
>  Detects correctly:
>  * Bus `SMBus PIIX4 adapter at 7000' (Algorithm unavailable)
>    Busdriver `i2c-piix4', I2C address 0x2d
>    Chip `Analog Devices ADM9240' (confidence: 7)
>
>                      - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Apparently the only device detected is an smbus device.
>
>                      - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Probing for `Analog Devices ADM9240'... Success!
>    (confidence 7, driver `adm9240')
>
>                      - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Scanning for ISA only, answering no to the smbus scans produces
> the message  " Sorry, no chips were detected. "
>
> So I conclude that it's smbus or nothing. With RH-9 I would see
> messages relative to the "sensors" at system boot, I don't get
> them now.

The sensors-detect program should have made recommendations about what
modules to put where. It normally tels you to add some lines to
/etc/modprobe.conf and also to an rc file, such as /etc/rc.local. If you
have a backup of your RH9 /etc/modules.conf file, you might look at that
to help give you a clue on what you need to load. In the meantime, I
would remove everything you added to /etc/modprobe.conf from the first
time you ran sensors-detect, and anything you put to a local startup
file, then run sensors-detect. Also, rmmod any sensor-related modules
you have loaded.

If you still can't get it working, go to the lm-sensors home page,
(http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/), click on the Support Link, and
enter your E-machines model number to see if someone else has found a
solution to get their sensors to work.

You might also take a look at
/usr/share/doc/lm_sensors-2.8.6/doc/chips/adm9240