Desktop folders are read only now

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Tue Sep 7 07:45:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 13:20 -0400, John & Christine wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 02:13:06 -0700, Steve <steve.bolam at telus.net> wrote:
> > Tonight I was installing some goodies with yum and operating as root at
> > times.  Now when I log in as myself, the Computer, Trash and My Home
> > folders have become read only. What have I done, and how do I fix it.
> >
> > I've only had Linux installed for a week and I thought I was getting the
> > hang of it. Guess this is another reality check.
> >
> > Thanx in advance,
> >
> > --
> >

> Use Nautilus and look at the owner/permissions of one of the
> now-read-only files/folders. (right click/properties/Permissions). If
> it looks like the problem is permissions/ownership, open a terminal ,
> su , nautilus again and fix the permissions.
> John

	A faster way of doing this is to open the terminal, su to root then
enter at the # prompt: "chown -R --from=root:root mylogin:mylogin ~*"
(without the quotation marks!).  This will find every file (-R) in your
home directory that has permissions set to owner=root, group=root, and
change them to your login name on both the owner and group.

For more info about chown use man chown at the terminal prompt.

HTH

Scott
--
When in doubt -- Vote 'Em out!