Filesystem used other than ext3.

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Wed Sep 8 03:32:31 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 23:41, John Thompson wrote:
> Badli Al Rashid wrote:
>
> > Just wondering , does anyone use other filesystem than ext3? as im used
> > to installed using the default fs which is ext3. i know that we can use
> > the "linux reiserfs" or "linux jfs" option but whats the use of using
> > other fs rather than the default?
> >
> > does it impact performance for the server, example mail, fileserving
> > with samba etc?
>
> I have mostly ext3 filesystems, but I have a 200G RAID array using xfs.
>   It works nicely, doesn't need the occaissional forced fsck like ext3
> ("/dev/whatever has been mounted nnn times; check forced"), and has more
> filesystem tools available than reiserfs.

I use XFS for my /home partition
reiserfs on my / partition on FC2
previous to Fc2, I've used ext3(RH9) for like 8+months and experienced
no data curruption
Used reiserfs on FC2 and had data curruption like 3 times within this
month alone.

Had to do a --rebuild-tree and lost quite a number of small files (which
I have no idea where they were originally) in /lost+found

if you do suspend/resume (like me) Pavel mentioned that it's best to use
ext2/3

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel