X.Org font problem

Mark Haney mhaney at interactsys.com
Wed Sep 8 16:22:40 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 12:17, Robert Locke wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 11:56, Mark Haney wrote:
>
> > Would it make any difference if I mention the fact that at some point
> > yesterday my /home partition was completely full?
>
> Bingo as to the cause.... Now to try to find the solution....  I know
> when an X server starts it needs to write to /tmp and the user's home
> directory.....
>
> Another thing I find is that it is only broken on the one user.  You
> could create a second user and try running "startx" from that user (make
> sure you login as that user, do not use su)....

IIRC, I tried that as root and got the same problem.  And I never log
into that machine as root.  I may be mistaken, as living in WNC I was
more concerned about maybe having to put sails and a rudder on my house
than my computer.

But I will try that when I get home.

> Presuming that second user is good, then start comparing some of the
> files in the home directories...
>
> I think someone more X oriented may need to jump in now, though....
>
> --Rob

Mark Haney
Network Administrator
InterAct Public Safety Systems
mhaney at interactsys.com
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) Kernel: 2.6.8-1.521 GNU/Linux