Kernel question

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 9 10:22:04 UTC 2004

Jens Schmidt wrote:

> Hi list,
>         could some one explain to me what the performance difference is
> between a self complied kernel and a "standard" kernel. Is it possible
> to express the difference some how in percentage.

I don't know what you mean here exactly.

Basically a "standard" kernel is a kernel specifically compiled by the
maintainers of Fedora. They make the choice of which features are
enabled/disabled and what modules are compiled into the kernel and which
ones are load able after.

With a self compiled one, you make all the choices.

> I saw commends on lists that if you want better performance you need to
> compile your own kernel. Is there really such a big performance boost.

Not really with today's fast processors. But, yes, there can be a
difference if you turn of all the kernel features you don't use or need.
Basically the kernel can become smaller and more efficient.

Regards,
Ed.