livna nvidia rpm's - how uninstall?

Beej-in-GA bryan-smith at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 9 18:49:42 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hardy Merrill" <hmerrill123 at yahoo.com>
To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 6:53 AM
Subject: livna nvidia rpm's - how uninstall?

> Here's my situation - I have kernel 2.6.8-1.521, I
> installed the Livna Nvidia rpms:
>
>   [root at localhost root]# rpm -qa | grep nvidia
>   kernel-module-nvidia-2.6.8-1.521-1.0.6106-0.lvn.4.2
>   nvidia-glx-1.0.6106-0.lvn.4.2
>
> But I'm having problems - Chromium doesn't work, and
> neither does Tux Racer.  So I thought I would download
> the driver right from Nvidia.  But first I need to
> uninstall the Livna Nvidia rpms.
>
> Here's what happens:
>
>   [root at localhost root]# rpm -e kernel-module-nvidia
> error: package kernel-module-nvidia is not installed
> [root at localhost root]# rpm -e nvidia-glx
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         nvidia-glx = 0:1.0.6106 is needed by
> (installed)
> kernel-module-nvidia-2.6.8-1.521-1.0.6106-0.lvn.4.2
>

> So I did
>   rm /var/lib/rpm/__db.*
>   rpm --rebuilddb
>
> and that didn't even do the trick - same errors trying
> to erase the nvidia rpms.
>
> Anyone know how to correct this?
>
> TIA.
>
> Hardy Merrill

Hello Merrill,
Here (1) is a link to a news forum hosted by NVidia that was of great
help to me when I was trying to get the NVidia drivers to work in our
kernel.  It is a long and a 'sticky'ed thread so be patient ant read
the whole thing.  You should be aware that the bent of this is using
the NVidia installer driven (2) [A] package.  It is how I got mine to
work, it took a bit of doing.  Pay particular attention to the last
two or three pages (8-10) of posts.  I also suggest that you look
under (as root) /usr/src for a file or directory that says
"linux-2.6.8-1.521".  It should be there since you have upgraded to
the new kernel.  Also be sure that you have the Development packages
installed.  Check this by typing "cc --help" at the command prompt.
If you get a bash error, then you will have to install the
development packages.  The easiest way, I know of, is to use System
Settings/Add-Remove Application on the Fedora menu.  YMMV or there may
be a better suggestion here.  This is by no means a complete tutorial,
but is a quick and dirty suggestion that might get your own thought
processes to going.  Above all, if you decide to use the Nvidia
provided package install method read the read me file located here:
(2) [B]

(1). http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30399

(2). [A] http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-6111.html

(2). [B] ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-6111/README.txt

I am sorry this is so long winded, but I'm trying to be clear.
Best Regards,
Beej