Observation on FC2/Help on FC1

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Sep 10 14:06:33 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 10.09.2004 schrieb usmany at excite.com um 13:32:

> I observered FC2 has more problem than FC1 as other users are having different types of problems.

The trouble making host is an FC2? This is not very clear from your
description. But I does not really matter.

> I am new to redhat linux but find it very good and reliable than other os so far... I am using FC1 on my network servers and seem appreciating it.

Fedora is not Redhat - see http://fedora.redhat.com. You are using
Fedora Core and not Redhat Linux.

> I have little problem with one of the servers that I set as secondary server.... if I connect the server/system to the network, its slow down and consume
> all my bandwidth by transmitting almost 80 to 90% of my total bandwidth.

Says not much. Modem bandwidth is not much. If the systems are connected
through ethernet it will be much traffic. And you did not say any word
as what kind of server this host is acting. Is it running a webserver,
DNS services, a mail server, even an MTA?

> I disconnected the system from the network trying to trobleshoot and make inquiry on what is making it behave that way while others that I set not
> behaving as same.

Just a blind shot: are you running a misconfigured MTA on the "victim"
host which is acting as an open relay? This can typically explain the
traffic. A misconfigured DNS can cause such constant high traffic too.

> When I was using win2k advanced server, I use to collect logs of port scanning from other networks on my firewall logs database.
> Guys what could be the problem and how to troubleshoot the system (FC1).

The directory /var/log/ is full of log files. It is always the first
place to look at. Most important log files are messages, secure and if
running an MTA the maillog.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 15:58:57 up 11 days, 13:15, load average: 0.91, 0.85, 0.98