Root mail with Kmail

Chris Ruprecht chrisr at ruprecht.org
Sat Sep 11 18:50:58 UTC 2004

... and to read the currently available root mail, disable mail for a
moment (service sendmail stop), then add the current root mail to the
user's folder (replace "mailusername" with the name of the user who
should receive root's mail

cat /var/spool/mail/root >> /var/spool/mail/mailusername

now re-enable mail (service sendmail start)

You should do the disable/enable mail bit, because you don't want
sendmail to write to the mail file you're busy messing with. The result
might not be pretty :).

You can now read the messages which are already in the root mailbox.
Once you have verified that you can indeed see all the messages, you can
delete the actual root messages:

log in as root (su -)
then type:
mail
once in mail, it'll give you a list of messages, to delete all, type:
d *

/var/spool/mail/root should now be 0 bytes long and no longer grow since
root's mail is now redirected elsewhere.

Best regards,
Chris