to newcomers: please try to solve the problem yourself before asking

Gerald Thompson geraldt at telus.net
Sun Sep 12 09:45:57 UTC 2004

Dana-Renee Lee wrote:

>If I was a new comer to Fedora I would find this message VERY OFFENDING!!!!
>This list exists because of new comers and old comers using Fedora!!!
>
>To the original poster Marius Andreiana, and I am an old comer you can kiss
>my white ass!!!
>
>Yes I do take offence to your alienating anyone needing information and
>help!
>If you do not want to help someone then keep your mouth shut and allow
>others that want to share do so!!!
>
>Dam this pisses me off that someone would be this small and would bitch
>about users
>Of this group helping each other!!!
>
>Renee Lee

Hi all;

I do see Marius's point and as an amateur user I tend to look up
information before I ask a question myself.  However, I do see Renee's
point in all this too, this list is here for new users to come and ask
for help.  Rather than getting mad at a newbie about their post, if you
don't want to answer it why not just delete it or ignore it.  Or you
could respond with a simple template that directs the newbie to several
available resources.

I know it is frustrating to answer questions again after they have been
answered previously, but you have to admit it is quite daunting to find
the important information in previous posts.  I remember I was trying to
look up information on a particular issue that I remembered reading
about in the group but I couldn't remember the exact wording of the
particular message.  It took me about 2 hours of searching till I
finally found the old post that I was looking for that answered my
question.  It is very daunting to be confronted with something new that
is quite alien.  I still get frustrated while using Linux from time to
time.  I have invested in some really good O'Reily books that I strongly
recommend to any new user.

Linux In a Nutshell
Running Linux
Linux Network Administrator's Guide
Linux Essential Reference

These are the places I would refer a new user:

The Linux Documentation Project: http://www.tldp.org
Fedora Faq: http://www.fedorafaq.org/
Fedora Forum: http://www.fedoraforum.org/
Fedora News: http://fedoranews.org/