Fedora Core 2 questions / concerns

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Sep 12 21:34:06 UTC 2004

Am So, den 12.09.2004 schrieb admin at usachurch.com um 22:27:

> Similar to above, I use higher-end motherboards with only basic video cards
> and usually several network cards.  I'm running Athlon XP and P4 xeon CPUs.
>
> Have any of you run into any stability issues with FC2 running as a server
> with similar hardware and usage/services as I have described?

If you do not have the most recent hardware I do not see any principal
problem to run FC2 on such hardware. For me FC2 is a stable runner,
though kernel 2.6 certainly has still a good road to go. If you can
remember, the early 2.4 kernel series versions were not that good too.

> >A fresh install is recommended, yes. You can risk an upgrade, less
> >"risky" using the CDs, more "risky" doing an online upgrade using yum or
> >up2date. For each upgrade have a complete and valid backup in backhand.
>
> So, what is the verdict on this?  Since joining the list, I've heard
> several people
> claim that upgrading has gone well and straight installs not so well?

Hm, from my point of view a clean fresh install has a better chance to
go well than an upgrade. If you do not remote upgrades but using the
CDs, then no bigger, unresolvable problems should be expected. Remote
online upgrade always are risky. I did it for testing and I was
successful. Though it depends how much you customized the previous
system.

> >  > 5.  I heard a while back about some completely new security system
> >>  that was being developed into Fedora - something the government was
> >  > involved in as well.  Is there any info you could pass along?
> >
> >SELinux
>
> thanks for the links!  I am *extremely* interested in this, and this
> will give me
> reason to upgrade in and of itself.  Has anyone setup a FC2 server
> with SELinux?
> Any comments?

Originally FC2 should have been delivered with SELinux on - there were
good reasons for the development team to let it off. I think the
upcoming FC3 (late October) is a good candidate that SELinux will have
enabled.

> Devin

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 22:51:03 up 13 days, 20:07, load average: 0.17, 0.21, 0.16