Red Hat Fedora vs Enterprise Linux WS vs Desktop

Wolfgang Gill wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Mon Sep 13 05:01:56 UTC 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:50:54 -0700, Adam Boettiger wrote
http://www.redhat.com/software/rhelorfedora/

> My question is:
>
> Other than getting the paid support, is there any real reason to buy
> Redhat Enterprise Linux WS or Redhat Linux Desktop as opposed to
> just using Fedora IN A DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT? (not a server)
>
> The comparison chart doesn't really do a great job of prompting me
> to take out my credit card.  I don't get it. Is it just that the
> commercial versions are supposedly more stable and have more
> packages available for them or ... ?
>
> If this question has been asked before, just tell me so and shoot me
> the URL off-list or on-list and I'll happily RTFM, but I have looked
> and no can find.
>
> AB

I switched from FC1 to RHEL3, mainly for stability. OK, it doesn't have the
2.6 kernels and other fancy stuff. But at least it has been way more stable
than FC1/2 (Not one crash, FC1 used to crash at least once a week). And from
the posts that I've seen here, is that some of the new kernels tend to break
things (Alot from all the posts). At least with RHEL3 things are nice and
stable, and I don't have to stuff around to recompile/reconfigure things to
get it stable.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Wolf