Cant ping windows network card, but can ping the linux card..

PFJ paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Mon Sep 13 08:17:26 UTC 2004

Hi,

> > I got this answer when I ping it.
> > [tortho at localhost tortho]$ ping 192.168.132.2
> > PING 192.168.132.2 (192.168.132.2) 56(84) bytes of data.
> > >From 192.168.132.1 icmp_seq=0 Destination Host Unreachable
> > >From 192.168.132.1 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
>
> What's the output of:
>
> ifconfig -a
> netstat

Okay, can the linux box ping to the outside world and can the Win32 box
ping to the outside world. If you're going through a router, what is the
IP address of the router (mine is 192.168.2.1) and can that be pinged
from both machines? Are you going directly from machine to machine and
if so, are you using a twisted lead or a straight lead (twisted are the
one you normally have from machine to network and won't work machine to
machine)?

Are you running a firewall on either/both machine(s)?

Personally, I would do this (assuming you're on a router)

1. Find the IP address of the router (look at the user guide)
2. Disable all firewalls and disconnect the router to the outside world
3. Ensure that all firewalls are off on the router
4. From the linux box, ensure the NIC is working (/sbin/ifconfig eth0
will let you know, you will get an IP address [192.168.2.100 say])
5. If you don't get an IP address, /sbin/ifup eth0. If that fails, /
sbin/lsmod - see if the network driver has been loaded. If it hasn't /
sbin/modprobe <name_of_driver>. Then try /sbin/ifup eth0. If it still
fails, there is a problem with the NIC. If it works and you don't have
an IP for the card, try a new cable, /sbin/ifdown eth0 then /sbin/ifup
eth0. If there is still no IP address, you will need to test the line
from the NIC to the router.
6. If you do get an address, see if you can ping the router. Assuming
you can ping the router (which indicates all the connections, leads and
NIC is happy), repeat for the Windows box.
7. If everything is happy with the windows box, you should be able to
ping either box. A simpler test is to run vsftpd on the linux box and
see if you can ftp onto it. Why is that simpler? Well, some software on
the Win32 side will stop the ability to ping.
8. If you can go from machine to machine, reconnect the router to the
outside world and see if you can either ping or ftp to a remote site. If
you can't, then it is probably a DNS problem (fire up neat, switch off
get IP dynamically and enter your ISPs DNS, reactive eth0 and try
again).
9. On one machine at a time (I'd go linux first), re-enable any
firewalls you have *slowly* until something breaks.

That's the nice trouble shooting way.

TTFN

Paul

P.S. Sorry if this has been covered, I've not followed the thread.
--
"If I face my God tomorrow, I can tell Him I am innocent.
I've never harmed anyone. I have cheated no one.