which repos to use?

Jon Savage jonathansavage at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 00:04:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:08:41 -0500, Christopher J. Bottaro
<cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
> As of now, I use the yum.conf from fedorafaq.org.  I commented out the
> following:
<snip>
> How do I know which repos conflict with other repos?  Which repos do people
> generally use?  Why is this so complicated?
>
> I did 'yum install mplayer-skins' and now i have the following installed:
> mplayer-skins-1.3-0.lvn.2.2
> mplayer-0.92.1-0.lvn.5.2
> mplayer-gui-0.92.1-0.lvn.5.2
> Well thats all fine and dandy, but no win32codecs are installed.  I can't
> play QuickTime movies.
>
> So what do I do?  Comment out the livna repos and add some others (which??).
> Then when I'm done installing the codecs, recomment them out and re-add the
> livna repos?  There has got to be a better way, I might as well compile
> from source...its actually less of a hassle.
>
> Thanks for the help.

Some of the 3rd party repos don't play well with others.
Dag, Freshrpms et. al. don't conflict with each other for the most
part but they sometimes conflict with Fedora-extras /Livna they don't
often conflict with core that I know of.

I've been happy using core, extras & livna. Another option would be to
follow the excellent fedora multimedia FAQ at:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Fedora-Multimedia-Installation-HOWTO/.

Compiling from source is a viable option for some items as well,
depends on what you want to install & also on how much time you have
on your hands.
Bests

Jon