where to start to set up wireless?

Jon Savage jonathansavage at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 00:13:26 UTC 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:55:13 -0300, Trevor Smith <trevor at haligonian.com> wrote:
> I have a Compaq Presario 2197CA with built-in wireless b/g. All works
> perfectly in Windows, of course, but nothing is autodetected or set up in
> Fedora Core 1 or 2.
>
> Where do I start trying to track down information on how to get it working?
> None of my searching has gotten me one bit closer to knowing how to set it up
> or knowing if it is impossible to set up.
>
> A step-by-step list with intense detail would be greatly appreciated.
> Something like:
>
> 1. get application x and run it to detect what kind of wireless card/chip you
> have
> 2. download driver y for that card/chip
> 3. etc...
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com
>
> --

Step 1- figure out what wirless card you have
Step 2- figure out if it is supported natively in Linux
Step2a- if not see if it is supported using closed source drivers
Step2b-else see if ndiswrapper + win32 drivers will work
Step 3- purchase a supported card ;)

Check out:
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
http://hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Wireless.html