aic7xx system hangs

Jeremy Conlin jlconlin at umich.edu
Tue Sep 14 15:43:56 UTC 2004

On Sep 14, 2004, at 10:58 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Jeremy Conlin wrote:
>
>> Checking for new hardwaremodprobe:  FATAL:  Error inserting aic7xxx
>> (/lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358smp/kernel/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx.ko):  No such
>> device
>>
>> kernel panic:  aic7xxx  unrecoverable  BRKADRINT
>
> What does lspci say?

On my machine lspci gave the following:

01:04.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-2940U2/U2W/

and some other stuff.

I did find a way to get the machine to boot!  I tried to find out where
the new hardware probe occurred.  This lead to renaming
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S05kudzu  to /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/K05kudzu

Is this a bad idea for the future?  I don't plan on adding any hardware
to this machine.

When I logged in as root I did get an error related to the keyboard and
X.org but the machine works.  Perhaps this new error should have a new
email subject.

Thanks,
Jeremy