Alert!!

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Sep 14 20:06:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 09:27:42AM -0400, James Kosin wrote:
> ~  2)  I've also made it so root can not login via ssh.  This was to
> circumvent some of the problems with the recent sshd attacks.  To block
> or not allow root to login, change the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file and add
> a line that has 'DenyUsers  root'

Or go a step further -- do "AllowUsers mattdm" (um, except with your list of
valid local usernames). That way, if evil hax0rs do get into your system and
create accounts for themselves, they won't be able to connect to them, and,
since they're probably just clueless script kiddies, will be very confused.