Accidently installed wrong rpm, now I can't get rid of it!

Ac7Xc1nx Ac7Xc1nx at comcast.net
Wed Sep 15 00:04:42 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 16:53, Andrew Konosky wrote:
> I was trying to install an FC1 2.4 kernel rpm, but I accidently
> installed the kernel-utils package instead because I wasn't paying
> attention to the filename. Now when I try to rpm -e it, it has failed
> dependencies:
>
> =====
> [root at andrew andrew]# rpm -e kernel-utils-2.4
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         kernel-utils is needed by (installed) lm_sensors-2.8.7-0_32.rhfc2.at
> =====
>
> Now lm_sensors was already installed, so I don't see how it needs the
> 2.4 kernel utils package now? How do I get rid of it without getting rid
> of lm_sensors?

If you installed it using rpm -U or RPM -F then you may have already
had it installed. If you are sure that you installed it with rpm -i
then:

rpm -e --nodeps kernel-utils

install the FC CD with lm_sensors and

mount /mnt/cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS
rpm -Fvh lm_sensors

It shouldn't hurt to leave the packages installed unless you need the
disk space. If lm_sensors complains then install kernel-utils or see if
you can uninstall lm_sensors.