RPM Database is empty after a "rpm --rebuilddb"

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Wed Sep 15 05:35:08 UTC 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 23:03:18 +0200, Mathias Nicolajsen Kjærgaard wrote:

> My system is FC2 with RPM version 4.3.1 (fully updated).

> After a little investigation I found out that this error was caused by a
> corrupt rpm-database. To correct this I ran "rpm --rebuilddb".
> Now the rpm command does not give any errors, but unfortunately the
> rpm-database is now empty, e.g.:

> Now my questions are:
> - How could this happen in the first place - a bug in RPM?
> - Is there any way that I can recover the information I have lost?

If you still have a good copy of /var/log/rpmpkgs, you could recreate
the database with a bit of scripting work and rpm options --justdb
--noscripts --notriggers. You might even find existing scripts that do
it, since the topic has come up before on some lists.

--
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux 2.6.7-1.494.2.2
loadavg: 1.00 1.00 0.83