[fedora] Groups

Øyvind Lode o-lode at online.no
Wed Sep 15 21:46:02 UTC 2004

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:01:20 -0400
From: Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>
Subject: Re: [fedora] Groups
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 11:16:45AM -0400, Clint Harshaw wrote:
> What about using your favorite text editor to edit /etc/group and add
> the user to the group there?

: That works, of course, but don't forget to also edit /etc/gshadow. (And
watch out for locking problems.) Generally, I :think using 'gpasswd' is
cleaner.

------------------------------

Hi

Hi again

Using useradd -g users john seems the easiest way.
But A huge stepback is that it removes other group membership of user john.
I wanted to add john to users...

I got a reply telling me to read the man pages of div useful commands so
that will probably give me the anser how to add john to groups without
removing him from existing groups.

I suppose if I edit /etc/groups, /etc/gshadow, /etc/gpasswd etc I will
escape this problem because I then just add users to john without removing
other groups...

Using a graphical tool in GNOME or KDE is also a good idea but not for my
config since I don't run X :)

Øyvind