Installation Issue

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 15 22:52:03 UTC 2004

I recommended, for a 20 GB nominal drive:

Fritz Whittington wrote:
> 1. It's hard for me to understand 12 GB for /home -- this sounds like a
> personal-use machine.
> 2. On my FC2, /usr/share is about 3 GB.  All the rest of /usr is about 3
> GB.

Do you think 12 GB is too much or too little? I agree with the likely
usage, and your figures for /usr sound about right. Allow 1 GB for the
rest of the system, and 1 GB for such things as /boot, swap, and various
formatting overheads, and you're left with 12 GB.

The original poster will probably want that for user data: it should
therefore be /home.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | ...a probably apocryphal bilingual sign in darkest
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | North Wales. In English it says "70mph" and in Welsh